Monday, February 20, 2012

94. my name..

i have been in the UK for almost 3 years now and i kinda dread introducing myself every time i meet new people simply because i know they would find it difficult to pronounce my name and they would just somehow say it wrongly. it is very common for me to repeat myself a few times before they could get somewhere close to having my name said correctly. i never really realised that my name was that difficult to be pronounce but i don't really blame them. it is an uncommon name to them and at least they take the initiative to try. 

when i first arrived, i thought i would come up with a so called 'English' name so that it would be more convenient for the locals to say it. i asked my parents to think of one that would suit me but mom assured me that i do not need one cause if they cared enough, they would somehow try to say it correctly. and she always felt that once i have an 'English' name, i would not be using my chinese name anymore which they had taken a lot of time and effort to come up with. so for that, i decided to stick to my given name..i know i'm making a big fuss over my name..but i wouldn't like to be called something different from what my parents had decided to name me..

and today i found out how these 2 lovely people try to remember my name..

1. tea and way (which makes it sound very similar)
2. Theo Walcott -a football player from Arsenal (i don't quite see much similarities in it but if that's how he remembers it, ok then..)


No comments:

Post a Comment