Friday, February 12, 2010

40. chinese new year

this is the very first year i'm not celebrating it with my loved ones. after 20 years of enjoying really good home-cooked food, i will be celebrating my 21st with nothing much. it's a real pity that they don't celebrate it here.

i guess this is the whole list of what i will miss most....


1. i miss all my loved ones..it means so much to me to just get together. the company of these people can cheer the "moodiest" person on Earth.
2. i will surely miss the dinner on the eve a lot. all the wonderful food that my grandparents will prepare. shark's fins, sea cucumber, the yam thingie, prawns, crabs, fish,.....i don't think i will be able to name it all..there's just too many..
3. i miss fighting for food with all these piranhas. there's no such thing as calling everyone on the table before eating (like many traditional families do). we literally grab what we can. first come first serve.
4. i miss the time all of us squeeze into a small room just to use the air-cond. it was just amazing how we could all fit into it.
5. i miss the time all of us just laze around doing nothing.
6. i miss how the dining table is always full of food. a few minutes after it is cleared, food will appear on the table again. it's amazing how our stomach never feel full. or rather we still gobble down food no matter how full we are cause it is only once a year.
7. i miss playing cards with my family. i miss "gambling" using only 10 cents.
8. i miss listening to the noise of laughter and joy in the house.
9. i miss staying up till late at night chatting with my family.
10. i miss collecting ang pau on cny.
11.and lastly i miss counting my collection at the end of the day.

my 21st cny will be rather different. there'll be no family members with me and no sound of familiar laughter and joy.there's no one to fight for food with me. and sadly, the food somehow don't taste that good if you have it all to yourself. whatever it is, i will try to enjoy myself here with the cookies that my grandma made lovingly just for me=) and the bak kua that my mom sent me. thanks so much. these are the only things that brings the cny mood to me...there will be more cookies coming but for now this is all i have..

i will make the most of what i have and still have fun...=)

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. jgn sdey Tian Wei...
    u still got us here...
    can nvr replace ur Family....
    but we try our best to accommodate each other wert....hehe

    Prosperous CNY..!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes thanks..=)
    agak sedih la but will make the most out of this..hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope ul have a blessed time there. your post made me ponder how lucky i am over here, not being far away for this festive season and i really thank God that i will not go through that for this time. do enjoy ur cookies and bak kua over there. get your family members to webcam with u. ul feel homely. happy chinese new year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks so much yi phing dear=)
    yea it's wen u step back oni ul realise how much of things ure missing out..will try to webcam la..but it will make me sadder here..hehe..the fact of not being there....
    anyway have a blessed chinese new year too!!!
    i miss the jelly ur mom make oso..delicious=p

    ReplyDelete
  5. gambling with 10 cent??? giler kedekut...hahhaha..its okay Tian wei..dont be that sad k..luv ya :)

    ReplyDelete